Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Edward Heaton V.C.
Those guys known to me are aware I have spent just over 12 months trying to either obtain a faculty OR raise funds to repair the gravestone of a fallen hero. William Heaton was awarded the Victoria Cross during the second Boer War. He was laid to rest in Ormskirk Parish Church and the gravestone was worn away, in desperate need of some attention.
With the help of my family and some friends we raised the monies required, the stone is repaired and now returned.
On remembrance Sunday at 12.00 noon we will be holding a small graveside service with the Parish Priest and regimental standard bearer, just to bless the stone. It is a bit of a squeeze between the services at our local chapel 10.30am and then into Ormskirk for this blessing.
I am sure you have your own services to attend if honouring our fallen, if not then please feel free to attend.
Give me a shout and I will give directions, we are a welcoming lot...you dont need to be C of E...all welcome and we shall endeavour to get some tea and cake  Big Grin
It s not about the church.... its about those guys who sacrifice everything for Queen/King and Country.

We will remember them.
Hi Ian, thanks for the invite to this, any chance you could give us a postcode please?

Think this is it?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Orms...-2.8877993

I have taken the liberty of copying the following to FB, hope you don't mind Ian?

"one of our members Ian Martin (Everton Mint) has spent the last 12 months or so sorting a head stone for a soldier, William Heaton was awarded the Victoria Cross during the second Boer War, unfortunately the head stone on his grave was showing it's age and needed replacing, Ian set out to raise the funds and get it replaced, it was a difficult task but one Ian relished and succeeded in achieving.

On remembrance Sunday at 12.00 noon they will be holding a small graveside service with the Parish Priest and regimental standard bearer, to bless the stone. It is a bit of a squeeze between the services at the local chapel 10.30am and then into Ormskirk for this blessing.

I am sure you have your own services to attend if honouring our fallen, if not then please feel free to attend.
They are a welcoming lot...you don't need to be C of E...all welcome."

Along with a link to the google map.
Excellent way to remember the fallen Minty, I'm on another choo choo doo,
3 course meal on a steam train with the outlaws. Hope it's a great turnout.
VOC 104
They should never be forgotten.
A great achievement for you and The Church, Minty.
I hope to be at the unveiling service.
Alan B. VOC#97
Cool Alan. I will give you a call saturday
Ok listen up! 12 noon on Remembrance Sunday 13th November

The Vicar has okayed us to park bikes in the Church.

For those heading from Micks... 
Head up the Rainford by-pass and under the motorway...head for Ormskirk.
You will pass Edge Hill university on your right (feel free to spit....but not if in a full face mask)
You will come to a set of lights in Ormskirk where you bear left and down towards the Park.
Angel  As you pass Morrisons on the left you will come up a hill with the Church on your left.
Keep over to the left as its 2 lanes.
As you come up that hill the church entrance is on the bend to your left...and its cobbles so go slow.
If in your car, go past the church and fork right in the one way system
There is a car park on your immediate right, when in the car park turn to the right towards the church.
There is an alleyway that comes out opposite the church gate.

If coming from anywhere else, Liverpool or Preston, take A59 to the Fire Station roundabout.
Head in on Aughton street.
At the top you will hit some lights next to Morrisons.
Turn left and pick up the instructions above from the  Angel
See you Sunday.